Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled commercial Absinthe during the early nineteenth century in Pontarlier, France, utilized a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs such as wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany as well as nutmeg. Wine is the standard base for Absinthe but a majority of distillers use other kinds of alcohol.
If you look for Absinthe recipes online, you will see that most of them include steeping blends of herbs in liquor just like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
Just how do you Make Absinthe at home?
However some recipes online are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without a license is illegal in many countries and you also need the right equipment and also you need to know what you’re doing. So, are there any other methods for making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This usually involves steeping herbs such as wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for several days or even a few weeks within the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Exclusively distillation will give you a true Absinthe, this will just give you an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe Kit – Almost all of the kits available online, just like the ones from Green Devil, are just steeping kits. They may be easier than obtaining and preparing your own personal herbs however you are simply steeping the herbs in vodka again and coming up with a flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much easier and much better way to make Absinthe from home. AbsintheKit.com produce essences for the Absinthe industry and also the essences are made by distilling classic Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is done for you and all you should do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you have a real Absinthe drink.
The essences are available in four various types:-
– Classic Green Essence to make a classic “verte” Absinthe with a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to create a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This also carries a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to make Absinthe with a twist. This essence will make a yellow-orange coloured Absinthe having a natural orange flavor and also a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence can make an Absinthe which has a higher thujone content (55mg) as well as a more bitter wormwood flavour.
You can obtain a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to make one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or obtain a kit for $29 to produce 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit comes with a handy plastic measure and 14 creative bottle labels. All you need to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Keep in mind that the alcohol content of your Absinthe is determined by your alcohol base. Be mindful, drink Absinthe sparingly because it is a significantly more powerful beverage than other spirits and fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or perhaps a neutral alcohol which does not have a substantial taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.