Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled industrial Absinthe in early nineteenth century in Pontarlier, France, employed a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs for instance wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and nutmeg absinthe. Wine is the traditional base for Absinthe however some distillers use other kinds of alcohol.
If you search for Absinthe recipes online, you will notice that many of them involve steeping blends of herbs in liquor like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
Just how do you Create Absinthe from home?
However some recipes on the web are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without having a license is against the law in several countries and you simply need the right equipment and you also have to know what you are doing. So, are there any other strategies to making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This generally involves steeping herbs for instance wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for several days or even a couple of weeks within the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Exclusively distillation can provide a genuine Absinthe, this will just provide you with an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe Kit – Many of the kits available online, just like the ones from Green Devil, are just steeping kits. They are easier than obtaining and preparing your own personal herbs however you are simply steeping the herbs in vodka again and creating a flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much simpler and much better way to make Absinthe at home. AbsintheKit.com develop essences for the Absinthe industry and also the essences are made by distilling conventional Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is performed for you and all you have to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you have a genuine Absinthe drink.
The essences are available in four different types:-
– Classic Green Essence to produce a traditional “verte” Absinthe having a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to make a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This also includes a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to create Absinthe which has a twist. This essence could make a yellow-orange coloured Absinthe which has a natural orange flavor and a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence will make an Absinthe having a higher thujone content (55mg) and a more bitter wormwood taste.
You can purchase a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to produce one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or purchase a kit for $29 to create 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit also includes a handy plastic measure and 14 artistic bottle labels. All you have to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Remember that the alcohol content of your Absinthe will depend on your alcohol base. Be mindful, drink Absinthe moderately because it’s a much more powerful beverage than other spirits and also fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or maybe a neutral alcohol which lacks a substantial taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.